FOR THE LOVE OF THE OUTDOORS

This Blog is dedicated to those that LOVE the outdoors and share that same unexplainable passion that exists within us! It's simply an obsession that exists in those that are fortunate to have come to know the outdoors. . . It's a pure legal addiction!!! Memories, bonds, stories true, and stories exaggerated we're all part of a very special group. . . THE OUTDOORSMAN!!! Welcome to my blog, click on my music playlist enjoy the stories/pics, and thank you for stopping by I hope you enjoy!! If you need to contact me email me at smackdownhunting@gmail.com
George Garcia Jr.

Berger Bullets

Berger Bullets
proud to announce our newest sponser

Thursday, March 17, 2011

YOUNG BUCKS part 1

Well I didn't get to have much time in the desert this year between guiding hunts and preparing for my 1st born son but boy did we make the best of it! My little cousin's Jacob and Laree Reidhead both drew junior tags that consisted of multiple units. My uncle gave me a call and asked if I could make it down to my hometown and have some fun with the kids and it just so happened to land between all of my booked hunts. I was excited to have some family fun but unfortunately was limited to only 3 days before I had to be on the road again. Last year I had chased a big buck with hunter Gary Schenone before we killed a buck that scored 98 7/8 and wouldn't you know that unit was a part of the tag.


My Uncle Bill and lifelong family friend Kyle Roan Sr had scouted a group of bucks in a different unit and I told them of the big framed buck that we had chased the year prior and it would be a great buck for either Jacob or Laree. Obviously we weren't trophy hunting with the kids so my uncle elected to give the first day to the group of bucks that they were wanting to hunt. Opening morning we were at the point we needed to be glassing and waiting for the bucks to appear. After about 30 mins of glassing my uncle had called me and said that him and Kyle found the group of deer we were after. I packed up and headed over to them and they explained that the deer had walked over the ridge and out of sight. Jacob was up first as it was his first deer and Laree didn't want to get out of bed haha. Bill and Kyle stayed on point as Jacob and I made a move. We circled way around and set up overlooking the canyon the deer had last been seen. After hours of not being able to relocate them and a young anxious trigger itching little redhead we decided to pack it up and get some grub. The afternoon wasn't anything special deer wise. Kyle had to go to work and Laree had to go get a dress for her homecoming royalty ceremony so it was just Bill, Jacob, and I on day 2. Homecoming queen was distracted hahaha. I kept reminding them of the buck we left last year and Bill agreed to see if we couldn't relocate him. We headed out to the unit and Jacob was excited because of his possible opportunity at a bigger buck. We got out as it was getting light and climbed up on the little knob that overlooked the cholla flats and small desert ridges. As we were extending the legs on our tripods I was explaining where we left him and what his pattern was and pointing out where he would most likely be if he was still alive. I mounted my binoculars focused them panned a couple frames and wow there he is! After Jacob and Bill got him in their view I set up the spotting scope for Jacob to get a good look at him. Because of many circumstances we elected to watch him bed before planning our stalk. Within minutes as the sun started to touch the hill the buck had taken cover and the gameplan began. We made the long journey and knew that it was gonna be a challenge to get across a loud broken up cholla flat because of the view the buck had. We took it very slow as we snuck to the edge of the small ridge that we felt would give us the best shot. We set up in the little shade we had and the buck was still there and hadn't spotted us. Bill watched the buck as I got Jacob set up on The Gun Claw (www.thegunclaw.com) thanks to Cade Smith. What a TREMENDOUS tool when you're hunting coues with a junior hunter might I add! After Jacob was ready I set up the camera and explained the importance of being very patient with a buck like this and waiting for the deer to stand up to present a good broadside shot and the possibility of this being an all day event with a mature buck. Not more than 5 minutes later the buck stands up and turns broadside in the shade of the palo verde tree he was bedded behind making a liar out of me lol. Jacob was ready to rock and roll so I snuck up next to him and began to coach him as I acted like I was jacking one into the chamber while he was in the scope watching his buck. I did this wanting to see if he was gonna jerk the trigger thinking he was locked and loaded with the cross hairs on a great coues. The shot was 298 yards. I started filming and asked him to describe what the deer was doing in his scope to help ensure that he knew what he was looking at. After building his confidence and calming his nerves I gave him the green light to kill him whenever he was ready to pull the trigger. Bill and I watched him as he started his breathing sequence and... CLICK!!! haha He looked up confused and we were giggling at the fact he about pushed the tripod over with his flinch!! I explained what I did and why I did it and it would have been a big miss had I not tested him. Since he failed the test we had him practice resetting the firing pin and practicing a good trigger pull on the buck until we felt his nerves of his first buck were under better control. Jack, click, jack, click he practiced about 5 pulls before we finally put a live round in the chamber. He settled in and explained he was ready once again. . . " hold it high on his shoulder and take him whenever you're ready" . . . BOOM ! He layed the smackdown on the big old buck hitting him high in the shoulder dumping him in his tracks. I had to play one more prank as I franticly told him "you missed get another shell in he's moving out" haha you had to be there to appreciate his reaction. His dad started whooping and applauding his sons magical moment and giving him praise! After the excitement we walked up to the buck and he laid his hands on his first deer which ended up scoring 104 3/8. Great shot Jacob were all so very proud of you!!!! 
Up next is Laree's chance. With only a day and a half left we scramble to get the homecoming queen into camo and in the desert. I'll have her hunt coming soon on young guns part 2!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment